Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Calculating Quartiles

rushabh_shah
8 - Asteroid

Hi Team,

Like we have automatic options to do Sum, Count, Avg, Median etc. how dow we get Quartiles in Alteryx?

Regards,

Rushabh

8 REPLIES 8
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Use the percentile option in the summarise and set to 25/75% 

2016-07-27_14-13-27.jpg

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@jdunkerley79,

You're FAST!!!!

I was going to go another route and use the TILE tool.  I'd use the EQUAL RECORDS method

and set it up with 4 tiles.  Based on the "Score" or value that we were tiling, I'd not let it break on that field (e.g. all 70.5's should get the same tile).  You can also group by within the tool and get tiles by Gender or other fields.

You say summarize and I say tile.  We're both right :)

Screen Shot 2016-07-27 at 9.14.43 AM.png

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Couple more options:

1. Quartiles appear in the Browse tool data profiling information...

browse.PNG

2. And if you need the values in your data stream, use the Basic Data Profile tool...

profile.PNG

GuyMarcel
5 - Atom

How to add the information available in the browse tool profile to a data table or a query result? 

I have a table and i need to extract (no manually) for one column, the inter quartile range (IQR) to dynamically remove outliers from the data set. I can see Q1 and Q3 in the tool's output and i need a formula using that information to create a new column in the workflow.

GuyMarcel_0-1575399664703.png

NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@GuyMarcel you can use the Basic Data Profile tool.

CHerv
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I have checked the various options - percentile, tile and basic data profile but I am not sure any of these solutions give the correct quartile result.

For example, the sequence of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 should provide a result of :

Lower quartile = (1+2)/2  =  1.5

Median = (3+4)/2 = 3.5

Upper quartile = (5+6)/2 = 5.5

None of the options (percentile, tile and basic data profile) provide that outcome. For example, the basic profile provides the following values :-

25th Percentile = 2.25

50th Percentile = 3.5  

75th Percentile = 4.75

Can someone please review and let me know if I am right/wrong ... if right, is there is another way to determine the quartiles?

kheuer
8 - Asteroid

@CHerv  - did you ever figure out this problem? 

ptaylor_ds
6 - Meteoroid

I had posted the same issue... missed this discussion.  Is there a fix for the math yet?

Re: Median and 3rd Percentile Calculation Error - Alteryx Community

Labels