Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Calculating Active and Terminated employees For each month

csh8428
11 - Bolide

I have been scouring the forums and trying to figure this out for hours. It seems so simple, yet putting the workflow together has proven to be quite hard for me.

I have a data set with EE_ID, Status, HireDate,TermDate. The table doesn't have history. It is just the current EE's status along with their hire date and term date(if they have one).

I'm able to figure out the # of terminations for each month by calculating termed EE's based on status. If status = terminated, then term count goes up by 1 for that month based on their term date. A terminated EE needs to be counted as active employee AND a terminated employee IN the month they were terminated.

In the attached Sample. 

There are 10 Employees records

In April 2018 there were 2 terminations. So the active count for April 2018 = 10(Total EEs that were at some point active in April) and the term count = 2

This leaves 8 employees going forward

There were 3 terminations in Feb 2019. So active count for Feb 2019 =8(Total EEs that were at some point active in Feb) and the term count = 3

So, when the workflow is run again the future, those counts should remain the same for their respective months.

Thanks for any help on this!

Craig

2 REPLIES 2
adamorse
9 - Comet

I've attached a workflow that might give you some ideas. What it does is output a table with a record for every month in which at least one employee was active, a count of active employees for that month (including any terminated during that month), and a count terminated during that month.

I'm not entirely sure I know what your end-goal is, but maybe this will help you figure out how to wrangle the data!

employee counts.PNG

csh8428
11 - Bolide

Perfect!! Thanks. The end result was inculcating employee turnover; which I can do from this point on. The data structure didn't have effective dates so it made the calculations a little beyond my abilities.

Labels