Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Calculated Field Derivation w/Dependencies

Nathan_Boynton
7 - Meteor

Hi Everyone!

I am having some trouble automatically deriving three fields that I need for properly setting up a Family Tree in Tableau. 

Background:
I am trying to create a Family Tree in Tableau, and need to prep the incoming data for it. I am following a tutorial on YouTube on how to create this view in Tableau, however I need to prep the incoming data in Alteryx.

Problem:
In the tutorial, you will see three fields (START_NODE_ID, END_NODE_ID, and PATH) that I am trying to derive automatically in Alteryx.

The person recording the tutorial states that he derived these fields using Python, but could also be done in Alteryx easily. However, the person that made the tutorial is not able to share the Python code. I have tried to recreate these fields in Alteryx, but I am having trouble doing so.

Link to YouTube Tutorial:

https://youtu.be/B0IxDH8Cm80?t=118

The YouTube Presenter explains what each field from 1:58 - 5:50 in the video. 

The Input:

Nathan_Boynton_0-1640629906609.png

Desired Output:

Nathan_Boynton_1-1640630047926.png

Attachments:

• Org Chart.xlsx
    • This file contains three tabs: Input, Desired Output, and Desired Output w/Notes (Where I wrote down observations on how I think the new calculated fields are being created.)
  • Org Chart.yxmd
    • Alteryx Workflow with the input and desired output, and a short problem description. 

Thank you all for your great help and support! 

0 REPLIES 0
Labels