Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Calculate the total number of sales data within various columns

arundaka02
8 - Asteroid

Hello, 

I'm new to Alteryx and require help for what is (probably) a basic / straightforward task. 

I have 12 months worth of sales data from January to December in columns, illustrated below. I want to calculate the total sales across the 12 months into a new column called, 'Total Sales'. 

arundaka01_0-1579798777495.png

Thanks,

KA

4 REPLIES 4
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Transpose then summarize! The transpose will take all of the columns and turn them into rows and then it will be easy to sum the values using a summarize tool directly after. 

arundaka02
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @BrandonB,

I've used the Transpose tool and then Summarize to group the city with 'Group by' and the column with all sales values to 'Sum' which has calculated the sum of all monthly sales data against each city. 

Solved.

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Nice work and thanks for asking your question in Community! We are happy to help!

amazz24
7 - Meteor

Hi @arundaka02 

EDIT - please ignore as it appears that you solved the issue as I was typing my response.

Original response:

If I am reading this correctly, you will need to use the formula tool and name it "Total Sales".  The formula will be:

[Jaunuary]+[February]+[March]+[April]+[May]+[June]+[July]+[August]+[September]+[October]+[November]+[December]

This will add a column to the right of your dataset and add up all of the preceding columns.

If this is the correct solution, please mark it as such.

Thanks!

Labels