Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Calculate the difference between row values in a column and output in a different column

EveM
7 - Meteor

Hello everyone,

I am trying to calculate the difference between records in a column and output the result in a new column. The formula needs to compare the records having the same Entity and the same Code. The calculation is basically :

If ENTITY=ENTITY and CODE=CODE then diff= amount of current month - amount of last month.

I just don't know how to write the formula for the calculation of the difference.  Does anyone have an idea? Thanks!

Here is the input :

input.JPG

and what the output shoud look like:

ouput.JPG

7 REPLIES 7
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@EveM 

Have a look at the Multi-row formula. This will allow you to perform calculations across multiple rows. Using the group-by function by Entity and Code will allow you to restart the calculation with every new pair of Entity and Code.

EveM
7 - Meteor

@MichalM Yes that's indeed what I've been trying to do, but so far it did work. It always gives a difference of 0..

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

Could you please share your data as a file?

rafalolbert
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @EveM,

I suggest to sort by: entity, code and date and use Multi-Row Formula as below:

img1.JPG 

Thanks,

Rafal

#Excuse me, do you speak Alteryx?

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@EveM 

I assume you want the result to say N/A (NULL) if there's no value for the previous period - first occurrence of the group. In this case can make the below change in the setting and update @rafalolbert's formula to

IF IsNull([Row-1:amount]) THEN Null()
ELSE [amount]-[Row-1:amount]
ENDIF

mrow.png

EveM
7 - Meteor

@MichalM Here is the input thanks!

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

Attached is the workflow with your data

Labels