Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Bypass unknown variable error in formula tool

ds12
7 - Meteor

I'm currently building a macro that uses 3 different calculations with different columns  based on the type of the file. 

Type 1: Columns A, B,C

Type 2: Columns D, E, F

Type 3: Columns X,Y,Z

The user may not input all 3 different types which is causing an issue with the formula tool because it doesn't recognize the variable.

ds12_0-1669753579008.png

Is there a way to bypass this error?

4 REPLIES 4
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi 

Have you tried to union a text input with the necessary columns and null data before of the formula? I think that this would work.

Felipe_Ribeir0_1-1669753914647.png

ds12
7 - Meteor

When there is no data it passes through fine, but when there's actual data, the field names don't unionize and there is a "¶" at the end for each duplicate field name. Do you have any idea why this is happening? I treid dynamic rename to replace the sign with blank but it doesn't work

flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @ds12 

Maybe you can upload the sample data and workflow to help us get your case.

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @ds12 

Be sure that you have the exactly column names on your text input and on the actual data. If you click on Manually configure fields on the union tool, you will be able to see if you have any mismatching names and which columns are not unioning (be sure to turn it back to auto config by name). 

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1669794946664.png

If it does not work, please see a way to isolate this unexpected behaviour of your workflow with dummy data and send it here.

Labels