Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Bypass First Join if File Missing

Link86
8 - Asteroid

I am trying to create an app that pulls from two databases and an optional file. What I would like to do (if at all possible) is bypass the first join if there is no file selected and proceed to the second join. I have been doing some searching and I am not entirely sure that this is possible but thought that I would ask here first. If it is possible, how would I: a) make the input file be optional so that it doens't throw an error, and b) bypass the first join and proceed to the second.  I thank you for your help in advance.

Capture.JPG

2 REPLIES 2
phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Link86,

I have accomplished something similar in the past. My question is if no file is uploaded, should the entire "Name Records" text input be passed to the second join file? If so, try the attached workflow and see if it gets you closer to what you are looking for.

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Link86,

Nice little question!

This can be achieved with the use of detour tools to define the path the workflow should take.

Path 1: No additional file is available, join once

Path 2: Additional file is available, join twice

Jonathan-Sherman_2-1622227100423.png

Using the app interface with a checkbox allows us to turn off and disable the container part if no file is going to be inputted, the same checkbox sets the path of the workflow to path 1 (with one join) if there is no file to be inputted. Otherwise, if the checkbox is ticked and a file is selected it would take path 2.

What does the app interface look like?

One checkbox with a file browse grouped within it

Jonathan-Sherman_3-1622227169634.png

I've attached my workflow for you to download if needed!

Kind regards,

Jonathan

Labels