Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Bulk Load Database column & Table Aliases

Greg_Murray
12 - Quasar

Hi everyone,

I'd like to bulk load table and column aliases using the connect SDK tools, but I am not quite sure how to go about it. Manually updating the aliases and bulk loading from the admin console w/ excel files are pretty straight forward, but given the volume of entries we need to edit, I'd like to automate this. I haven't been finding much in the way of documentation for custom loads (specifically for Attributes). Has anyone attempted to do something like this?

I can see that the synonyms/aliases are stored in Attribute table in the CLOB_VALUE field where the ATTR_KEY is 'entrySynonym', but I am not quite sure how to land data there with the SDK tools. 

Any help or direction is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Greg

6 REPLIES 6
joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

@DanH - Something you might be able to provide insight on? 

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
PetrH
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi Greg, 

I suggest to use Connect API released in version 2020.3

you can access it in 

2020-12-28_13h30_29.png

( your_connect_url/swagger-ui.html )

To identify fields, I would use ADVANCED SEARCH

in your case I think you need to use "entrySynonym" which is named in connect - Alternate names

This can give you quick hint on available field.

I am listing fields for table…

2020-12-28_13h43_22.png

Please be aware that you should use the the fields, which you can update in connect manually. If you update the loaded field it would not propably retained after subsequent loads. I suggest to test on one entry, and try to execute the loader again (or at least run sync job) in oder to confirm that updated field is not removed again. Alternate name is designed for manual use, so it should be OK to use it.

Hope its make sence to you.

Best regards,

Petr

Greg_Murray
12 - Quasar

@joshuaburkhow thanks for the bump. 

@PetrH, Thanks for the quick response. We are a few versions behind, but we should be upgrading in the next week or two. Looking forward to checking out the updated API. 

Thanks for the help identifying the field that needs to be updated. The part I am having trouble with now is how to push the updated aliases there. I am sure I am missing something super similar, but any help is greatly appreciated. 

Here is a sample I'd like to load where the entry_xid is points at a column entry. 

Greg_Murray_0-1609779561866.png

here is my workflow:

Greg_Murray_1-1609779595087.png

here are the settings for the output:

Capture.PNG

PetrH
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Greg_Murray , 

with Restful api you need to use download tool, instead of Connect Json Builder and Connect output tool. Those two are designed for loaders, and puting data to stage and utilizing synchronization process.

With this API approach you are updating existing entries directly via API.

Attached there is sample workflow. In two steps, its 1st logging - aquiring and parsing session cookie, with that you can send second request to update entry.

There are many steps how to do it, so feel free to use any way which works for you.

Hope it will drive you to right direction.

Petr

Greg_Murray
12 - Quasar

@PetrH awesome, thanks for the info and sample. I'll dig into it after we upgrade.

Greg_Murray
12 - Quasar

@PetrH,

We upgraded to 2020.4 last week and I can confirm that updating the field via the API works through the Swagger UI. I'll work through the Alteryx piece when I can find some time. 

Thanks,

Greg

Labels