Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Bulk Formatting to match Notepad ++

kirstenbosman
5 - Atom

Hello,

When exporting a csv file from Oracle, and opening in Excel, the formatting does not match what it should look like in Notepad++. I would really appreciate any insight on bulk editing using these tools - ultimately, I need a csv file to have the same formatting as it's currently presented in Notepad++. This will likely utilize the Output tool, but I am only a beginner, and am not super comfortable with all of Alteryx capabilities.

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @kirstenbosman 

Can you provide some examples of what exactly you need? Are you trying to replicate some transformation you're doing with notepad ++?

jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

excel likes to override formatting because it thinks it's smarter than us. 😁 

I typically see this when 4 digit zip codes (where there are leading 0's) Excel sees that as a number and changes the field to numeric. however, if you open that file in notepad++ (or alteryx) you'll see that the 0 is in fact there, but excel interpreted it as a number.

I suspect that is what you are referring to, but let me know if you are seeing something more drastic.

Labels