Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Building a macro / app to allow user to produce differnt output lists

chickenlicken
8 - Asteroid

I'd like to build an app that gives the user the option to select from a list of fields, and then generate separate outputs (probably excel files) containing lists of the unique values from those chosen fields.

I have got stuck at the first hurdle!  I thought having a batch macro in the app which would run through the user selections in turn could be a good idea, but I can't think how to configure it. 

Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
mst3k
11 - Bolide

You could solve this with a batch macro but I don't think you need to. A standard macro could provide a field selection, compute the unique values, then output to split files. See attachment for an example. I set it up to use referential path, so you'll need to save this to a folder somewhere before you run it. Then it will create Excel files in that same folder, one for each of the fields you select. It worked as intended when I tested it

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

hi @chickenlicken 

One way is to use the Example file in Alteryx which you can access by clicking on the interface tool and then click on the Hyperlink to open example.

With this example file as a starting point, all you need to do is to add a Summary Tool after the Select tool to list the unique values.

chickenlicken
8 - Asteroid

Thank you, this seemed perfect actually.  Would it be possible to add an interface tool so that a user can run it as an app to answer the questions in the control parameter?

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

hi @chickenlicken 

it is possible to add more interface tool. In fact, the example from Alteryx is an app and you can improvise from there.

chickenlicken
8 - Asteroid

Thanks!  How could I utilise this type of interface + a macro?

Labels