Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Building a basic lookup app?

BigDataGeek
8 - Asteroid

I'm being asked for a way for non technical users to search a table and return matches from a list of ID's they have.   The idea is they need to do this daily so automation is key and there list of ID's changes.

Basically, automate a SQL search in Alteryx where they could be prompted to insert the ID's as the input, the workflow runs and only returns results of matches and exports to a folder or sends via email.

How difficult is something like this to create?  Where would I get started to learn how this works?

3 REPLIES 3
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @BigDataGeek ,

can you please provide some data so we can build an example for you?

M.

Bulien

BigDataGeek
8 - Asteroid

Here is a basic dummy version.

What I think may work best is the user runs the app, selects their file which just has ID's in the ID column and joins to the db input.  It then only returns matches and asks for an email address.  The file is then emailed back in excel format to the user with just the matches. 

I'm hoping to embed this somehow into sharepoint so they can run it on sharepoint.

jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

this sounds fairly straight forward in that you can use a Text Box tool (interface) and the user can paste in their values. Those values would come through as a single cell - then you'll parse based on whatever delimiter(s) you'd like (text to columns tool can accept multiple delimiters like \n and , and \t for newlines, commas and tab delimited) then you continue on with the join like you set up in your example and from there it's just a matter of what you want to do with the data. I'd imagine you could set it up with sharepoint as well (i don't use SharePoint personally, so i'm not sure what the limitations would be).  

Labels