Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Bug / Unexpected behavior: Transpose Tool caches field names?

chrisha
11 - Bolide

Hey Alteryx team,

there is some an unexpected behavior of the Transpose tool that led me to spend an hour searching for the cause of a problem:

It seems as if the Transpose tool is caching the name of the fields and only superficially compares the actually present fields with the cache. I have attached a workflow to show what I mean.

In the Text input there are Name / Value pairs which get converted to fields using the Cross Tab tool (this is not really necessary, but makes it easy to reproduce). The transpose tool should then transform the fields pack to Name / Value pairs. The bug emerges if you change the way the variables are capitalized in the beginning, i.e. if you change "Var_ONE" to "Var_One" you will find "Var_ONE" despite the changed variable name.

To reproduce, run the attached workflow once and look at the browse tool. If you then change the capitalization in the text input from e.g. "Var_ONE" to "Var_One", run the workflow and look at the Browse tool again.

The bug will disappear as soon as you change something in the transpose tool.

I'm using Alteryx 11.7.4.37815 and would be happy if this could be fixed in a future update.

Thanks

Christopher

8 REPLIES 8
HossC
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @chrisha,

This is interesting...I've also been able to update the Name by pressing F5. This has definitely caught our attention and we will let engineering know of this issue.

Thanks!

Hoss Carroll
Customer Support Engineer
Alteryx
sanjdhar
7 - Meteor

Saw the same issue in 2019.1 version. I had to uncheck and re-check the transpose field options after I changed one of the fields to mixed case (Starts with Uppercase letter, rest is lower case).

PiotrJarzyna
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I've encountered the same problem with Transpose tool - Alteryx version 2019.1.4.57073 - Has this problem been resolved in any of the newer versions?

Thanks,

Piotr

chrisha
11 - Bolide

Nope, problem still exists in 2019.4.6

Best

Christopher

ntobon
Alteryx
Alteryx

The issue you have reported has been reproduced and logged as a new Defect: "DE25896 - Transpose Tool caches field names". This Defect will be reviewed by our development team. We will notify you of any updates we receive

Sasidharg
7 - Meteor

Hi Hoss,

We are in Alteryx 2021.1.5 and still see the issue with transpose tool caching the field names for the work flow.

Could you please let us know if we have a solution or a work around on the issue,

Best Regards,

Sasidhar

ntobon
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Sasidharg Defect DE25896/GENG-2010 is still open. 

Raji
5 - Atom

Hi Chrisha, 

Thank you so much for writing this down. I was facing same issues and this saved me sometime in analysis. 

Labels