Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Bug: Deleted Canvases continue to be executed via Scheduler

AshwiniChezhiyan
7 - Meteor

Issue: Even after the canvas is deleted, the scheduler still continues to run the cached version of the canvas.

Note, this issue does not occur when the canvas is directly scheduled in the gallery, and only occurs when you schedule via the Designer on the controller directly.

Steps to replicate issue:

1) Publish a canvas into gallery

2)Schedule the canvas to run daily via the Designer --> Options --> View Schedules --> Select Controller --> Create new workflow and scehdule

3) Delete the canvas from gallery

4) You will notice that the canvas is still getting run on the defined schedule, even though you have deleted the canvas

Observed in Alteryx 11.5.1

6 REPLIES 6
patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

@AshwiniChezhiyan if I understand correctly, this is expected.  You need to delete the schedule as well.

The scheduler in the Gallery and the one directly to the Controller are separate.

AshwiniChezhiyan
7 - Meteor

@patrick_mcauliffe If the canvas (main artifact) itself is deleted from the gallery, should it still be executed in the scheduler? 

Since the canvas is no longer in the gallery, the users would assume that the canvas (and all it's relevant attibutes) would be moved to archived/deleted state, but the scheduler still runs on a cached instance of the canvas, creating confusions.

AshwiniChezhiyan
7 - Meteor

@patrick_mcauliffe Thinking more on this, the question is " What is the golden copy of a canvas in any environment?"

If the answer is Gallery, then the schedules should be deleted when the canvas itself is deleted from the gallery.

If the answer is Database, then it makes sense that schedules via controller remain, even after the canvas is deleted from the gallery --> However, if this is the case, then is there an easy way to navigate within the database to access the canvas and the related metadata, such that these instances can be identified and deleted?

Looking forward for your thoughts!

cc: @SeanAdams @LizaNemchynova 

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I absolutely agree @AshwiniChezhiyan - it doesn't seem to make much sense to have a schedule that exists for a canvas which has been deleted.

Deleting a canvas should mark everything as deleted except the run history - and my strong preference is that nothing be deleted but rather MARK as deleted.

Ashwini - is it worth logging this as an idea on the ideas board, to cover EXACTLY what we would like to see from the delete behavior?

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Agree with @SeanAdams - this should be logged as an idea since it is outside of current functionality.

@AshwiniChezhiyan - I agree with you that it *should* work this way.  I thought you were asking how it *does* work.

AshwiniChezhiyan
7 - Meteor

Thanks @patrick_mcauliffe & @SeanAdams for your thoughts - Will log it as an idea now!

Labels