community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Browse tool is causing my Windows 10 PC to crash with blue screen of death

Asteroid

Hi there,

I am using Windows 10 insider preview (pre release 181205-1436). This has happened to me at-least 5 times. Whenever I use the browse tool, and zoom in some of the plots, my PC crashes with a blue screen of death. I have analysed the memory dump file, and can say with certainty that as per the memory dump file details, Alteryx is causing Windows to crash. 

Has someone else faced the same issue? Any fix around this. I am thinking of appearing for the Alteryx core exam and am afraid that my PC might crash during the exam.

Any help is highly appreciated. 

Hello @Mausam ,

This issue has been addressed by our support team and a Knowledge Base article was created. You can read that post here.

Please reach out to Support if you are still having issues.

Thanks!

TrevorS

Community Moderator

@Mausam,

If possible, could you also upload a copy of the issue you are encountering? In case the above article is not able to assist you, I would like to see what kind of data size you are working with as Alteryx is memory intensive on your machine.

Thanks!

TrevorS

Community Moderator
Asteroid

Hi Trevor,

Thank you for your reply.

I cannot capture a screen-shot of the issue as my PC instantly crashes upon reproduction of the issue. I cannot use the task manager to stop Alteryx as my PC crashes and reboots.

I thought upgrading the graphics drivers would solve the issue for me but it didn't. The problem still persists.

One possible reason could be that I am using an Insider Preview version of Windows. However, this issue only occurs with Alteryx and no other program. I may try upgrading to the next Insider Preview version to see if it solves the problem.

As per your other query, the data size I am using is really tiny. Also, the issue is not related to the data size, as it happens with almost any workflow or data where the browse tool is used. It happens while zooming out and then re-zooming in on any of the plots. A couple of times it has also happened while resizing the configuration window. 

Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Mausam 

Can you let me know the Alteryx version and provide an example workflow with attached sample data that can replicate the issue?

Can we see if anything is logged in the Event Viewer? It would be under the System and Application tables. Feel free to attach them. 

Cheers,

Mike

Asteroid

Hi @MichaelF,

Thank you for your reply.

I am using Alteryx 2019.1.4.57073. I am attaching a zip file which contains the System Dump files after the PC crash and a sample workflow with which the problem occurs.

I can't find system and application tables. I did find some log files in "Z:\Users\mausam\AppData\Local\Alteryx\bin\log". But all of the log files are of an older date. So, no log files were generated for the recent PC crash.

Asteroid

I am sharing a small screen capture video of what exactly is happening, because it is not possible to capture a screenshot. It is in the attached zip file.

I found out that if I logged into Windows safe mode with networking and then used Alteryx in a similar manner, my PC didn't crash. 

So, I think that the solution which worked for me in the end is to run Windows in safe mode.

Highlighted
Asteroid

[Update]:

I upgraded to the latest Windows Insider Preview build 18353.19h1  last night and this has solved the problem :)

Labels