Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Browse tool: Chart not available for this data type

honshu
7 - Meteor

Since having updated Alteryx Designer from 2018.3 to 2019.2 the Browse tool returns the error message "Chart not available for this data type" for all my columns and data types. 

Even on old workflows where it worked under 2018.3

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Alteryx screenshot.png

24 REPLIES 24
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

On the surface, there's no reason the profile should be unavailable for a byte field. Perhaps there's a record/resource limit? Try a sample of a few hundred rows and see if the profiling works.

justindavis
10 - Fireball

I just encountered this issue trying to profile 1 Million records of data. Surely Alteryx can handle that volume, I would think. So I too am wondering what is going on with this...

Edit: I should clarify that this occurred on 60 different fields, including a variety of non-spatial data types.

honshu
7 - Meteor

I did some further testing.

It seems that the issue only appears for larger datasets.

For numeric variable types:

- For small datasets it plots the values directly "by Record #". Cf. below for 10'000 lines

- For medium datasets it plots the frequency graph. Cf. below for 100'000 lines

- For large datasets (> 1m ?) it seems to attempt again to plot the graphic "by Record #", which understandably fails

Similar behaviour for string types, where it also attemps to plot "by Record #", even though for all other sizes it always produces the frequency graph

Int 10kInt 10kInt 100kInt 100kInt 1m.png

String 100kString 100kString 1mString 1m

mbaker054
6 - Meteoroid

Any resolution to this, I am also experiencing this as an issue. Even with a very manageable amount of data, browse tool only represents "Chart not available for this data type". 

NicolasFabre81
8 - Asteroid

I also get this problem for a 1.3M rows dataset.

mbaker054
6 - Meteoroid

Have you been able to resolve this issue? 

honshu
7 - Meteor

I was told that their has been a voluntary change in the behaviour of the Browse tool, putting a limit on the data volume accepted (for stability reasons). However there is a bug, leading to a wrong error message being displayed.

I am still in discussion, as I am having the same issues even on small datasets (< 50MB). Also for me the tool is very unstable for integer and byte datatypes.

Abdallah
5 - Atom

I am facing the same issue on version 2019.2 and 2019.3.

My dataset is only 580 K record ! .. something is wrong definitely 

honshu
7 - Meteor

I was told that a correction is planned for 2019.4

Labels