Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Browse file macro

rajputakansha
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

I am pretty new to macro side of Alteryx. 

I want to build a .yxwz app having a workflow at the back end. When a user opens the .yxwz app, it should ask him for two things.

1. Select an account file

2. Select last years' account file.

Then user would hit the folder option, browse and select the required file and the macro will run in the back end and output a dashboard.

Now, I have my workflow in place. But can you please help me configuring the input using File Browze and Action Update Value. 

Appreciate your help!

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You would just need to add a file browse and action tool for each input file. The input tool would be configured to update input data tool. See below for an example. Let me know if you need additional help! 

echuong1_0-1575648679586.png

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@rajputakansha 

You don't actually need to change anything within the Action tool configuration - the default setting should do the trick. 

file-browse-default.png

You can choose to limit file types users will be able to browse for in the File Browse configuration.

file-browse.png

rajputakansha
8 - Asteroid

Hi @echuong1 , @MichalM ,

Thanks for your solutions. I ran a test workflow. However I am getting the below error in the input tool.

Can you tell me how to fix this?

Capture1.PNG 

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You need to have the input file configured the same as you would for a normal workflow. The interface tools just add onto this and are enabled when the app is running. See attached for an example. 

echuong1_0-1575668892805.png

rajputakansha
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @echuong1 . It worked just fine! 🙂

I ran it again and I got this error. Do you what am I missing here?

error.PNG

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@rajputakansha 

The error suggests that the input data tool is missing a reference to the sheet you'd like to select from the Excel workbook. Could you please attach your workflow so we can check the configuration?

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

When you configure the input tool, it will ask you to select a file and a sheet name. Make sure you have selected a sheet. Both fields highlighted in the screenshot should be populated. If the sheet name is not, you can configure it in the configuration window. 

echuong1_0-1575897862636.png

Labels