Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Browse Tool not showing all Distinct Values

MattSB
6 - Meteoroid

HI All,

Ran into an interesting bug with the Browse tool, when looking at distinct values for a date column for a log that takes a bunch of files and selects the most recent record for a unique ID, it then compares that to the last time the workflow was run and again selects the most recent record. I can't show the actual data or share the file but hopefully the basic flow below explains what i'm doing.

MattSB_1-1676319415622.png

Fundamentally the data its outputting is perfect but the browse tool is having a fit with distinct date for last updated, however the browse tool is only showing 14844 records despite having 15134 records to display. Nb. it maxes out at 14844  records across every feld.  

Ive verified it by exporting the data at various points during the process and doing the operations manually in excel. I'm a bit stuck because its not related to the 300MB limit for the browse tool because the data is only about 2 MB and even if all the space was reserved for the vStrings it wouldn't be more than 8 MB.

Any Ideas?

MattSB_2-1676319796156.png

MattSB_0-1676319286185.png

6 REPLIES 6
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Interesting - what do you see when you group by data and do a count in summarize? you have 290 records unaccounted for...

MattSB
6 - Meteoroid

The summarise tool returns the correct values as does the final out put, its literally only the browse tool that seems to decided to be wrong. 

Its across several dates that it is reporting on wrong so not a single data set issue either. 

Tried opening and closing Alteryx in case something got stuck, no luck. 

MattSB_1-1676323968613.png

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Two more questions:

1) Is Amp on?

2) if you add a select tool and only show the date prior to the browse do you get the same issue?

My suspicion is that it's still a memory limit. Glad to see that it's just an issue with the browse - and not an overall flow bug.

MattSB
6 - Meteoroid

Yep tried Amp on and off no difference. 

However limiting the fields to the ID and the Last updated returned proper browse figures. 

I agree its a memory limit issue but would not expect the issue to hit on a relatively small table, hopefully on of the devs picks up on this, if not im just going to add the browse tool to my list of "Cowboys" and use other tools for final checks. 

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Totally odd - unless you are running with a fairly low amount of RAM.

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Hi, @MattSB , @apathetichell 

Try inserting an Auto Field tool before the browse tool and see if that helps - Cheers!

Labels