Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Bringing in thousand separator

BillyL14
8 - Asteroid

Hi 

Am trying to bring in thousand separator using below, not sure what is wrong, have experimented with a few different data types.  Any advice? thanks 

WL1_0-1603042885723.png

8 REPLIES 8
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @BillyL14,

according to this topic:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Insert-Thousand-Separator-with-Formula...

you need to use this formula:

TOSTRING(1000.2, 2, 1)returns "1,000.20" as a text string

in order to make it work for your example we need to put a column name:

TOSTRING([sales], 2, 1)

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @BillyL14 ,

Your formula is fine, but it only works for NUMERIC fields.  Your 138038 as you show in your screen shot is a STRING field.  If it were a numeric field, then your formula would work.

BillyL14
8 - Asteroid

Hi @mbarone 

I actually have tried a numeric field but doesn't seem to work for me

Have attached my workflow in case my problem is coming from somewhere upstream? Bit confused

Thanks

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

You need to attach the spreadsheet otherwise the module doesn't work.  But I can see what's happening, I think.

ToString must result in a "string" field.  You must have a "numeric" field going into the formula tool.  You can't update a numeric field to a string field with a formula tool.

So . . . create a new field with the formula tool, say "Sales_String", and then it will work.

BillyL14
8 - Asteroid

@mbarone  thanks a lot, bringing in the new column did the trick

BillyL14
8 - Asteroid

@Emil_Kos thanks

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Great!

ypt
7 - Meteor

Hi there!

My field is a NUMERIC field and I've tried to add a new column (Total APE_String) and in the preview, I can see 1,141,899.21. However, after running, there is still no thousands separator in the results window. Is there something I'm missing here? Thanks in advance.

ypt_0-1657871119948.png

ypt_1-1657871137729.png

Labels