Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Bring data connection Oracle database table name downstream

summarizer
9 - Comet

Hi all.  I have a data connection in which I have SQL code doing a basic select* from a PERSON table in my database.  I would like it to dynamically fill in the table name in my formula tool.  Currently, I'm entering the table name manually and it's a pain.  Any ideas?  I'm on 2018.2 if that matters.  Thanks!

TABLE NAME.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @summarizer 

You could add it to your query, I think this might work:

select *, 'PERSON' as TABLENAME from PERSON

Cheers,

john_miller9
11 - Bolide

@summarizerWhy don't you add the Table name in your select statement (e.g. Select employee, id, name, 'person' as table)?

summarizer
9 - Comet

Thanks!  I am relatively new to SQL.  I wasn't even thinking about that!  Yep, super easy!  Thanks!!!

summarizer
9 - Comet

Yep, thanks John.  Feeling a very silly Weds afternoon "duh" moment.  Thanks for the advice!!!

summarizer
9 - Comet

And for the good of the order, I wanted to list what worked for me.  For my Oracle SQL, this was the correct syntax to create that column to the right of all the others.  I needed the table name (or alias like here) then a dot and the asterisk.  Thanks again! @Thableaus @john_miller9 

SELECT
PERSON.*
,'PERSON' as Table_Name
from
ORACLE_DATABASE.V_PERSON PERSON

Labels