Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Breaking long strings into multiple rows based on character length column by whole words

alpro-23
7 - Meteor

Hi all, I am rather new to Alteryx and would like to seek help on this problem.

I have a column of comma-separated strings - some of which are really long. My objective is to parse them through an API that has a character limit. Hence, I need to break the comma-separated string into multiple rows with max. character limit.

Moreover, I would like to retain the whole word. Some of the methods I've tried would cut the word harshly while fitting into the character limit. 

I'm thinking this might require a multi-row formula. However, really not sure how I can do it. Would appreciate any help! 🙂

(I've also attached a snippet of the actual data I'm trying to work on, as a csv format. Note, it is in tamil language with encoding of utf-8 that would work!)

16 REPLIES 16
alpro-23
7 - Meteor

hi @atcodedog05 

Yes, the idea I have is also splitting by comma. Technically, each 'token' you see encapsulated within commas, is a single word in tamil. 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @alpro-23 

You can text to column to split on comma to rows. Refer below snaphot.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1629362716409.png

Hope this helps : )

Drussek
9 - Comet

@atcodedog05 Why not to split it with your method:

Drussek_0-1629363562188.png

With this there would be much less requests to API.  

Drussek
9 - Comet

@alpro-23  Strange because for me results looks the same.

Drussek_0-1629363755221.png

But ofcouse other methods of "inteligent" spliting are better.

Good luck  

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Drussek 

Your length was large if you set it to 50 it works.

Hi @alpro-23 

Here is a solution with comma marking the word end.

atcodedog05_0-1629364796360.png

Hope this helps : )

alpro-23
7 - Meteor

Thanks everyone for your help! I've successfully overcome the problem by integrating all your suggestions.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Happy to help : ) @alpro-23 

Cheers and have a nice day!

Labels