community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Community v19.6

Looks aren't everything... But the latest Community refresh looks darn good!

Learn More

Block until all Input and Output are complete

Asteroid

Hello all,

I am working on a process where I am pulling data from multiple external source and creating DB tables with them. Once that it done, I need Alteryx to execute a Stored Procedure in the MS SQL.

How do I guarantee that the multiple Input and Outputs are complete before the Stored Procedure is executed by Alteryx?

Thanks.

Alteryx
Alteryx

You can't do that directly, however if you can direct which table will be written last (maybe a throttle tool or Wait A Second), then you can put the SQL into the POST-SQL on the output tool.

Asteroid

You can make use of Block Until Done transformation. At the first level you can have all your workflow that needs to be done. In the second level you can have the sql stored procedure executed via Output Tool as @KaneG has suggested.

Asteroid

Hi @vkarthik21, can you please give an example? How do I connect an Input shape to the Block Until Done?

Asteroid

Please find below a simple example of how this can be done. All your input stream flows through both 1, 2, 3 of 'Block Until Done'.  Hope this helps -

Alteryx Designer x64 - forum_block_until_done.png

Asteroid

Hello @vkarthik21, Thanks for sharing this. But this doesn't really solve the issue. I am pulling data from multiple sources and have multiple Input shapes. What you proposed will only wait for one of the Input shape to complete.

Highlighted
Alteryx Partner

I think what you are requesting is a Parallel Block Until Done. 

You can download the marco from Marks site at - http://downloads.chaosreignswithin.com/Macros.zip

"it outputs all records from input 1 to output 1, before writing the records from input 2 to output 2."

cheers

- AM

Alteryx Certified Partner
Alteryx Certified Partner
If you use a runner macro, you can assuredly know that the predecessor worrklow completed (successfully) before starting the next workflow executes your stored procedure.

Cheers,

Mark
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and reboot. Order shall return.
Labels