Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Block until Done

MarkMcCullagh
7 - Meteor

Hi

I have 4 sets of data I wish to write to the same file. Is it possible to use multiple block until dones i.e. one nested under another?

Regards

Mark

7 REPLIES 7
Bennel_Wilson
8 - Asteroid

Hi @MarkMcCullagh ,

As per my knowledge, when the datasets are coming out of different workflows or branching out from the same workflow then you need to add a block until done before the output tool of each these branches or workflows so that alteryx writes the output to the common file one at a time and not all at the same time.

Remember to keep different sheet name though for all your output tabs.  

See below pic for reference. I'm writing multiple output data to the same file within different tabs using the block until done.

Bennel_Wilson_0-1589791389803.png

Regards

Benn

P.S: If this solves your query, kindly mark this as solution

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @MarkMcCullagh ,

Yes you can use Block until Done tools one after another !

Cheers,

Jean-Baptiste

MarkMcCullagh
7 - Meteor

Any idea then why I get this?

MarkMcCullagh_0-1589794622783.png

Start: Designer x64: Started running O:\_Official Workflows\TEST NGU .yxmd at 05/18/2020 10:34:57
Error: Output Data (31): Unable to open file for write: [Redacted path]\Cancel & Amend Report NGU Template.xlsx Error Opening file: [Redacted path]\\Cancel & Amend Report NGU Template.xlsx
: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (32)
End: Designer x64: Finished running TEST NGU .yxmd in 6.9 seconds with 1 error and 1 warning

rohan_santamaria
6 - Meteoroid

You can also look at using the reporting functionality, create individual tables and add a layout (horizontal), then merge them using a Join multiple. Then split out the tabs using the Vertical with split layout tool to get your output on multiple tabs. 

More details below: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Output-different-files-to-multiple-...

rohan_santamaria
6 - Meteoroid

Has your output been configured to overwrite sheet?

Based on the sheet name, it won't overwrite any differently name sheets but does help with such issues.

Bennel_Wilson
8 - Asteroid

Hi @MarkMcCullagh ,

I'm unable to pinpoint the exact reason for the error in your workflow. However, I get such issues, when I run a workflow where the input file is open in excel. Basically, when I'm done reviewing an input file and run the workflow without closing that input file, I get such errors.

By any chance, has the output file been opened or accessed, before the final leg of the workflow could be completed?

MarkMcCullagh
7 - Meteor

Alteryx appears to dislike the > sign in a worksheet tab. When I remove that it runs fine.

Labels