Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Block Until tool not working - Directory Tool

CDunhill
8 - Asteroid

Trying to output a CSV file, then find its size using the Directory tool.

I'm using Block Until tool but it just doesn't work as expected: the Directory tool reads the folder contents before the file is written.

How do I get around this? I've also tried the 'Wait a Second' tools but these have similarly little impact.

7 REPLIES 7
Raj_Singh1
9 - Comet

hi @CDunhill 

if you can your workflow,then i can have a look and maybe able to configure it. i had similar problems in the past but fixed it 

CDunhill
8 - Asteroid

Sure - thank you. Please see attached. You may also note I've never been sure how to incorporate the Directory tool into the workflow so I used Append... if there's a better way please let me know!

CDunhill_0-1605197968780.png

So - you will see the file the SECOND time you run it as it's already there, but not the first.

Raj_Singh1
9 - Comet

Hi @CDunhill 

Please see my solution. i have converted to iteration macro solution. basically in the first iteration, it reads directory before a file is exported.

but by the second iteration the file is exported so the directory reads the input. Please let me know if you have any questions.

also please re configure the file locations for export and directory 🙂

Spoiler
Screenshot 2020-11-12 Block Until.png
CDunhill
8 - Asteroid

Aargh I still don't know how to use macros. I tried (and failed again) the other day, but I think it might have been a compatibility issue.

I'll give this a go tomorrow though - I appreciate your help with this!

Crazy that this can't be done 'sans macro' though, isn't it?

CDunhill
8 - Asteroid

Yeah, I'm sorry - I just don't know how to use macro files. I'm unsure if I'm doing something wrong. I've tried following online tutorials to create or use macros) but I still keep getting stuck.

Sorry for the ignorance, but this is what I'm doing:

1. Downloaded and then directly opened your new 'Block Until not working.yxmc' file
  2. Ran it
  3. Created new workflow, then (tried to) insert above macro into it from the right click context menu
  4. Got error message saying "The file is not a valid macro".

I'm using the latest version of Alteryx, updated the other day.

When I try to open the other file you posted, I get "Missing Macros: this file references macros that are missing or inaccessible".

I'm not expecting you to hold my hand through the basics of macro use but if you can see the obvious thing I'm not doing please let me know!

Thank you again.

Chris

Raj_Singh1
9 - Comet

hi if you see input should be same in both macro and workflow. same format

and has to be configured for iteration the one i submmited was already however 

CDunhill
8 - Asteroid

I will try again with a fresh head tomorrow.

Labels