Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Block Until Done

TommyLau
6 - Meteoroid

Hi guys,

May I ask if I can block the salesforce input until the workflow in container 1 is done?

Container 2 is used for checking after uploading data salesforce in container 1.

I cannot use Conditional Runner/Runner Macro as this workflow will be uploaded to Alteryx Server.

Is there any additional way to solve my problem? Thank you

TommyLau_0-1639040995667.png

3 REPLIES 3
mathieuf
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @TommyLau,

You can transform the container 1 into a macro and place is between your Salesforce input and the container 2

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @TommyLau ,

I would suggest something similar to what @mathieuf suggested, but instead of converting container 1 to a macro, I would convert container 2 into a macro instead. My understanding is that whatever is in container 1 should happen before Alteryx reads data from the Salesforce input tool in container 2.

Maybe @mathieuf can help out here; it's not clear to me if there is a principle that forces Alteryx to execute tools in a workflow before tools within a macro. If there is one, I'm not sure if that does mean that whatever is in your container 2 macro will necessarily happen after whatever is in the batch macro in container 51. Is there a chance those to happen simultaneously?

A way to orchestrate which one happens first is :

1. after your batch macro, add a select tool to drop all columns but one (pick one randomly).
  2. add a sample tool to only keep the first record of that column.
  3. Next add an append fields tool and connect the T input anchor to the output of the sample tool and
  4. Connect the output anchor of the block until done tool that's labelled as 3 to the S input anchor of the append fields tool,
  5. Within your append fields tool, unselect the single field that's coming from your T input anchor. Whatever comes out of the append fields tool is now the original table you had, but you have force it to wait for the batch macro in container 51 to complete, before moving downstream.

You can now connect the output anchor of the append fields tool to the input anchor of your Container 2 macro. I think that Alteryx will wait for data to be fed to the input anchor of the macro, before starting executing any tools inside that macro.

Let me know if that works for you,

Cheers,

Angelos

TommyLau
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Angelos,

Thank you so much for your suggestion, It's working really well and solved my problem!!!!!

Cheers,

Tommy

Labels