Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Block Until Done not working as expected

nbarai
6 - Meteoroid

Hi I am fairly new to Alteryx and have an issue with the use of the Block Until Done tool. I have seen several posts on the issue this and a solution of a parallel blocking have been proposed but not sure if there is a seperate Alteryx tool for this. In summary what I am trying to do is for the workflow to extract 3 files from 3 processes and once this is completed, I like extracted output files to FTP to another server. Please see the attached screenshot of the workflow. What seems to be happening is the FTP process is starting while one of the file is still being created. Any help/guidance would be appreciated as always. Kind Regards Naresh

6 REPLIES 6
StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

@nbarai I don't see an image attached, but I'm imagining you're seeing that happen because the Block until Done tool is sensitive to the order in which it is added to the workflow when using multiple.  If you have to use multiple Block Until Done tools, they will run in the order they are added to the workflow, so it makes sense to label them as you put them in.  

The always amazing Parallel Block Until Done tool can be found in the CREW Macro Pack.  It's a lot easier to use and takes all the guesswork out of things.

Regards,
Stephen Ruhl
Principal Customer Support Engineer

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

From my experience, the block until done tool only applies to records being PASSED through the tool, not OUTPUT via an output tool after the Block Until Done.

Example:

A stream is ended with a Block Until Done (BUD) tool.  From connection #1 of the BUD, you have an output tool.  From connection #2 you have another bunch of tools.  Your connection #2 tools will in fact begin processing once all records are PASSED from #1 to the output tool, even if the output isn't fully finished.  So in essence the connection #2 tools will process before the output from connection #1 is created.  Of course, it all depends on the output being created.  For small outputs, it's not an issue.  But if you're outputting gigs of data, then it becomes an issue if the 2nd connection is dependent on the first one being complete.

nbarai
6 - Meteoroid

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, this is exactly what is happening. While it is outputting from Stream 1, it is started the second process.

I have seen a reply about the Crew Parallel Block... I am assuming there is no tool in Alterxy which allows 2nd  process to start until 1st process is FULLY complete (ie..also the Output)?

Thanks again

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Correct, no native Alteryx "tool" will do this.  If you want to use native functionality from Alteryx, then you'll either have to use the run command event for this (if it's a YXMD), or the chained app functionality (if it's a YXWZ).  

nbarai
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you. I will accept this  abd Thanks for all your help

Kind Regards

Naresh

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Welcome!

Labels