Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Block Until Done - Working Partly

avanibhatnagar
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I have almost 50 sets of outputs (using Render tool) being produced in my Alteryx workflow. I wait for them to finish processing before calling the Run Command Tool to zip it all. I have this working using multiple Block Until Done Tools (see below for example):

avanibhatnagar_0-1646418906951.png

(this is repeated for each output so I can wait for them to finish writing before I zip them. 

This works for all 50 outputs. I just added another output (using Output Data tool this time and not the Render tool) and added the same Block Until done and added that connection to the Union tool. Unfortunately it does not wait for the latest file that I have added and zips the other 50 up and in the end outputs the last file. I thought it should still wait for all 50 files like it used to and then the additional file so 51 files before it zips them up.

Any thoughts on why it might happen? What's different with the new file is that it is being output using normal Output tool and not the Render tool and has different columns that I'm joining on since I'm not using the Render tool. Any help is appreciated! 

6 REPLIES 6
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @avanibhatnagar 

Can you show a screen shot of the new Output Data tools and how it's connected to the rest of the workflow?

Dan

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @avanibhatnagar 

There is the work around in this case.

You can use event function. If you use this function, you can archive the files to zip after finishing to run the workflow.

AkimasaKajitani_0-1646556949238.png

avanibhatnagar
8 - Asteroid

@AkimasaKajitani Unfortunately I can't do that because after I zip them I use the blobInput and blobOutput tool to Output the zip file as a downloadable file in Alteryx Gallery.

@danilang All outputs come from multiple joins combined into a set of data and filtered to different values for each output.
Here is what the new output data tool looks like (normal output instead of Render):

avanibhatnagar_0-1646664768347.png

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @avanibhatnagar 

Thank you for your reply. Certainly, my solution can't apply at your situation.

By the way, does the New Output Data tool save the some data?

If there is no data and it set by overwrite sheet or range option, the Output Data tool save at the last.

avanibhatnagar
8 - Asteroid

@AkimasaKajitani Thanks for your response!! It does - it writes to a csv file, whereas the other render tools write to excel files. I just don't understand why the other Block Until Done tools work, but this one processes after the other files are zipped. My powershell is supposed to pick up all excel and csv in a folder, but it can't pick up the csv since it is produced after the zipping is already done. 

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @avanibhatnagar 

Which engine do you use to run the workflow by AMP Engine or Alteryx Original Engine?

Depending how to make the workflow, it work well or not by using AMP or Alteryx Original Engine.

Or please try to use the Parallel Block Until Done tool that is contained in Crew Macro.

http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/p/macros.html

Labels