Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Block Until Done Moving to Third Step of Ouputing File Before Inputting File in First Step

nbrightw
7 - Meteor

I have a user input sheet a user would enter data into excel every day. Instead of looking at the excel sheet every day to see a long list of items. I want to export all of the things that changed from the prior day so I can isolate them. After that is done, I want the input file to export with all changes over the prior day files. However, what I am seeing, is that it is overwriting the prior data first, despite my block until done option.

Here is what I am trying to achieve: 

nbrightw_0-1615557279990.png

Here is what is happening:

nbrightw_1-1615557438802.png

6 REPLIES 6
Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hi @nbrightw 

The MarqueeCrew has a Parallel Block Until Done macro for just this type of thing!

Maskell_Rascal_0-1615558988833.png

You can download all of their custom macros here: http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/p/macros.html

I've attached a zipped workflow that includes the macro I'm using, but would definitely recommend checking out the package of CReW Macros. 

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know!

Thanks!

Phil

nbrightw
7 - Meteor

Hey Everyone

Mark Frisch from MarqueeCrew resolved my issue through a private message.
Key elements provided by MarqueeCrew:
- There is no order of operations

- In order to ensure my foodtestprior file pulls earlier, it is suggested that a count records is put next to it, and it is appeneded (just the tool, you can unclick the count in the fields) to the end of the workflow before outputting.
- This forces the count before any other steps are made.

Thanks Mark! I'll await your post to verify it as a solution.

Thank you Maskell_Rascal for your post as well. Does your macro do something similar? 

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Maskell_Rascal 

There are times where I solve without the parallel block until done and simply use "standard" tools.  I showed Nick, @nbrightw how to solve without the convenience of the CReW macros.

capture.png

If data needs to write #2 first, let's count the records sent to the output tool and cause the input data to wait for the count in an append tool.  Don't actually append the count and then output.

This creates a blockage and we can set the order of operations.  This technique is very useful for excel tabs, but also for organizing containers to operate in order.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@nbrightw 

@Maskell_Rascal actually gave you my macro to use. Both should work, but under the covers gives you more control for more complex implementations. 

please try/accept both. 

cheers,

mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
nbrightw
7 - Meteor

nbrightw_0-1615560719204.png

For anyone who wants to see a visual

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

@MarqueeCrew 

Just wanted to say that I love the simplicity of the Parallel Block tool!

But yes, there are definitely times where solving with "standard tools" offers are greater deal of control. I use a Count Records/Append combo in several workflows to check for data before writing to sheets in my output. 

Thanks!

Phil

Labels