Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

BloB data type

nasrinahmed
6 - Meteoroid

I have used the BloB Convert tool to convert a string to a GEOMETRY,

now I am just outputting the file to an ODBC connection.

However in the create table statement I get the field is created as IMAGE type rather than a BLob type, how to rectify this?

6 REPLIES 6
chris_love
12 - Quasar
Hi

A few questions:

You're converting a string to a geometry? What does the string look like? Im not sure convert to BLOB is thr right way of doing this...perhaps you can share a screenshot of data or provide a sample...

Also which database are you writing to?

Chris
chris_love
12 - Quasar
PS image would be the correct datatype for a BLOB datatype. For spatial data we use SpatialObj datatype created via the spatial tools. If you have geojson format you can use the Select tool to convert to a SpatialObj datatype.
nasrinahmed
6 - Meteoroid

I have attached a sample field, I want to import the Geometry field to the ODBC database.

I have the field currently as v_string. So I got the ODBC output error - doesnt support TEXT field. Then I used BloB convert which is a valid datatype in the ODBC connection, but the Create statement by Alteryx generates a Image type for the column rather than directly using BLOB file.

I am using firebird ODBC as destination.

chris_love
12 - Quasar

So for starters you do really need to be aware that Firebird isnt officially supported in Alteryx, so you may run into issues. That said I have used it sucessfully in the past.

In terms ofimporting your geometry field then Alteryx isn't converting the Create Table syntax properly, you need to specify this yourself.

I've attached an image of how you might do this taken from one of my colleagues modules doing this for producing geocoding maps for Tableau. Here you can see the settings he used (you need Transation size as 1 not 10000):

2015-09-11_13-02-27.jpg

The key settings are options 3 and 5.

Please let me know how you get on.

Chris

nasrinahmed
6 - Meteoroid

Awesome, this is exactly what I needed.

Alterrnatively, I created the DB Schema using RazorSql and then just inserted the data.But this is more automated.

chris_love
12 - Quasar

Great news, gladto help.

Labels