Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Best way to update new table daily

jmhutbay
6 - Meteoroid

Hi -

I am trying to create a process that would update a cross-reference table daily. I have a query that finds the initial set of IDs and a few dimensions and creates a table. Next day, I would like to retrieve the IDs that have not been retrieved previously and append it to the same table that was created. What are some options that follows best practices?

Thanks for your help

3 REPLIES 3
PeterA1
Alteryx
Alteryx

@jmhutbay 

It depends on how the workflow is configured. But I think if what you mean is you want to add records from new data to an existing table that were not previously there, you would use an output data tool and configure the output options to: "Update: Insert if new"

This is one way to accomplish what you want if I understand correctly.

clipboard_image_0.png

jmhutbay
6 - Meteoroid

@PeterA1

I want to ultimately write this to a table in a database but I was testing writing this to an excel sheet. I don't have the "Update: Insert if new" option. See below for the options I have

clipboard_image_0.png

JessieC
Alteryx
Alteryx

@jmhutbay ,

"Update: Insert if new" option is only available if you are connecting to a database.

If you wanted to find new records, you could Join the previous day's results to compare to today's and records from L or R would be the net new records that you would Append to an Excel file.

Here's a mock-up

clipboard_image_1.png

Labels