Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Best practices for a multi-process workflow

iwilliams
8 - Asteroid

I have a workflow that uses an iterative macro in order to go through multiple pages an API response and uses the output from the macro to do verifications.  Eventually I will need to use this process with multiple APIs within the same workflow.  I just wanted to know what are best practices for doing something like this.  I will basically have different APIs, going through the same processes and using the same macro, but all in the same workflow.  So, should I only let one process happen at one time?  Things like that are what I would like feedback on.

2 REPLIES 2
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@iwilliams ,

Slow and steady!  The download tool now includes a throttle (version 2021.1).  I don't however like the iterative macro approach.  I prefer to do something like:  Calculate the pages and use the generate rows tool to create one request per page.  Don't run them in order, randomize the data.  You don't want to blast or act like a robot.  If at all possible, use a VPN and move some work amongst the IP addresses.

Store your responses and after you've created them, you can summarize them as needed.  Avoid the same requestssd

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
mst3k
11 - Bolide

if you need to just repeat your iterative macro, could you just wrap a batch macro around that? and have it key off of whatever you're looping through and repeat your iterative macro?

Labels