Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Best practice for 'between' time range daily scheduling

Brayndasilva
7 - Meteor

Hi,

Our data is being processed in batches every night. This proces has a variable end time, like from 02:00 to 08:00 AM for example. As soon as the processing is done I need to run some actions with my Alteryx workflow.

Currently this is set up with a workflow that is scheduled every X minutes without an end date. I leverage an expression with DateTimeNow() to create a condition that checks if the current time is within the specified range. If so (1) run the actions, else (0) do nothing. I have additional logic built in to make sure the actions are only ran when the data is actually available and only once every night.

This is working fine, but it pollutes our schedule results log that we wish to report on at some point. The whole schedule overview is filled with that one schedule every X minutes 24/7 while we just need it to run during a specific time range at night.

It is however not possible to schedule a workflow between a specific time range on a daily basis. What are the alternatives? Does an Alteryx Server license provide a solution?

Could we perhaps leverage the scheduling engine of Alteryx with a program/command in Windows to dynamically create and delete a Minutes / Hours schedule?

2 REPLIES 2
patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hey @Brayndasilva , am I correct to assume this is a desktop with automation?
You could just set up a batch file to be run by Windows scheduler that starts up the workflow.

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

@Brayndasilva  if this worked, please be sure to mark it as solved so others can benefit from it!

Labels