Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Best and easiest way to solve this task with minimal and basic tools

Manojpatnaik
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, Attached with the dataset below. Which school won the max championships is the required outcome. Can someone let me know the easiest way to solve this with minimal basic tasks in the workflow.

2 REPLIES 2
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Are you trying to find max championships out of every sport/per year, or just in general?

You can use a text to columns to split the records into rows per sport per year. From there, you can use another text to columns to separate out the sport and school name. I used a Select to rename the resulting columns, and then a summarize to do a count on school. You can adjust and add group bys depending on the level of granularity you're looking for. I then sorted by the count, and got the first record.

echuong1_0-1611332044368.png

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Manojpatnaik 

This should work for you. You can first parse your data and split it to rows, one more parse to separate out the school names, summarize and count the championships won, sort data, and finally use the Sample Tool to select the first row in each year to get the below output. 

Maskell_Rascal_0-1611332144288.png

Attached is the workflow. 

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know!

Thanks!

Phil

Labels