Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

BatchMacro ?

Evaldas1
5 - Atom

Hi,

Bit stuck with batch Macro.  Not sure if I picked the right tool to achieve it.

The problem: I want to apply a formula to a text fields. For simplicity lets say UPPERCASE() 

Table1 (List of String Fields) :                  Table2:

Fieldname                                                  Name  Street   Phone   Date 

Name                                                           Jack     Case    5556       04/23/1986 

Street

Can I set up a batch macro that would take Field names from Table1 and Uppercase(Override values to uppercase) for those on the list?

I tried, it seems that Batch Macro can apply different operations within a single field, but cant get to apply same operation to a multiple fields?

I know about Multi-Formula tool, that would solve this. In this case I need to avoid it as a solution. There is a separate macro that I would like to deploy against multiple fields. The "UpperCase" function in this example is for simplification of example. 

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Evaldas1 ,

I would suggest you to use the transpose tool before the function you need to use to get all columns to a single one, that way you can do whatever you need with that field.

I'm not sure if you need a batch macro for that, a standard macro would do the deal, if I'm not simplifying.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

Evaldas1
5 - Atom

It makes no difference which macro as long as I get the result.  I can put all values in one field, that's simple. However, the flow is being built not for a single, one time analysis. I need each field to stand on its own. 

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Evaldas1 ,

All of this would be inside your macro, you would do the transformation but to return it back to its regular format. 

fmvizcaino_0-1617722357157.png

If this doesn't work, please tell me a little more about the complexity of your process, then I wll try to build something for you.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

Evaldas1
5 - Atom

Now I see what you meant. I like your solution a lot. Thank you, that was good and not overcomplicated. 

One little thing if I may ask, in my data set I also have dates and numbers. My macro that I use insted of "Upper" function does bit of damage to those fields.

I can manually decelect those, but still thinking of a bit more "elegant" solution.  That's probably main reason where I started looking at batch macro, cause that way I can produce list of fields that are strings.

Maybe you have an idea to further refine it? 

Many thanks!

Shalz
8 - Asteroid

I think Data Cleanse will solve your issue..

Check only Name field and apply Case modification to Upper and the remaining fields unchecked 🙂

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Evaldas1 ,

Sorry for taking so long, I wrote the response and forgot to click send, go figure.

You can use the dynamic select tool and check the data types you want to check or uncheck.

fmvizcaino_0-1617744039073.png

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

Labels