Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Batch or Iterative Macro ?

Robin9057
5 - Atom

Input file is received with x columns out of which y columns have delimited data. User should have ability to select the columns they want to parse and you have to provide all possible combinations as output 

3 REPLIES 3
T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @Robin9057,

I think you will need an Iterative macro that also acts like a Batch macro.  This is what my Inspire segment was about 😀.  Let me mock this up for you and I will post it back to this thread.

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @Robin9057 

I couldn't use the batch inside an iterative macro to get this to work, but with a little macro inception I was able to use a batch macro inside an iterative macro.  To make the entire workflow dynamic and allow for selection based on the input data, I used two chained apps.  The first app preps the data for the List Box Interface tool in the second app.  The apps are chained together, so when the first app is complete it runs the second app.  When the second app launches, it brings up the selection screen based on all the fields in the input data.  After the selection is made, the iterative macro runs each selection through the batch macro, which uses a Text to Columns tool to expand the data.  There is a dummy field in the iterative macro that gets filtered out before the results are completed that allows for it to keep iterating to produce valid results even after it runs out of fields to process.  Run this as an app and let me know if you have issues or questions.  It does take a couple of minutes to run as it needs to work through the iterations.  

Starting WorkflowStarting Workflow

Column Selection AppColumn Selection App

Iterative MacroIterative Macro

Batch MacroBatch Macro

Interface Designer Properties - Starting WorkflowInterface Designer Properties - Starting Workflow

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Robin9057 

I tried to make the macro.

AkimasaKajitani_0-1623476216411.png

DynamicTextToRow.yxmc

AkimasaKajitani_1-1623476232697.png

- This macro is not needed. This is for the hide of Repeat output.

Split_Iterative.yxmc

AkimasaKajitani_2-1623476313641.png

This is Iterative macro.

DivideRow.yxmc

AkimasaKajitani_3-1623476343454.png

This is Batch macro.

It's fun challenge.

Labels