Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Batch macro double outputting

StephenMack
10 - Fireball

I have a dataset categorized by city. I send this data to a batch macro, with unique city list as the control parameter. The macro should get the data, filter it by the control parameter, do it's processing, and output a unique output file for each city.

Pretty straightforward and I've done it many times before.

Though now I'm running one and Alteryx seemingly randomly splits my output file into 2 files, time stamped 1 second apart. I've put 'wait until done' tools everywhere to try and get the workflow to wait, but nothing is working.

Each city takes a few minutes to process, so the fact the files are being output a second apart (and the formula to time stamp it is being re-run) means that the single iteration of the batch macro must be screwing up somehow and popping out 2 files.

Anyone see where my mistake is?

The input to the batch macro. All the data, and control paramter gets all uique city names (except aberdeen, that place has bad data haha)The input to the batch macro. All the data, and control paramter gets all uique city names (except aberdeen, that place has bad data haha)The output of my macro should create a file name with time stamp and output the fileThe output of my macro should create a file name with time stamp and output the file

5 REPLIES 5
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@StephenMack,

or should I call you RUBE GOLDBERG?

Did you know that you can use the configuration option in the OUTPUT tool to create unique files by City?

Capture.png

I think that this will solve the problem for you.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
StephenMack
10 - Fireball

That's what I'm doing. My formula tools create 'SaveFileName' with the name of the city and the time stamp. I use that name to output to individual files.

output tool.PNGBut somehow Alpena gets 2 output files 1 second apart?But somehow Alpena gets 2 output files 1 second apart?

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

let's look at this together on webex....

https://meetings.webex.com/collabs/meetings/join?uuid=M1NJQES6C7581KG34I5PKICS35-UCSL&epwd=aadacecc2...

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
DateTimeTrim(DateTimeStart(),"day")

or just

DateTimeStart()

is my guess....

DateTimeNow() gets updated as it runs.  DateTimeStart() is one time that is collected with the workflow begins and is used throughout the workflow.

StephenMack
10 - Fireball

So you're thinking that when I use DateTimeNow() it's updating as my workflow runs, and every once in a while I straddle the 1 second mark and end up with 2 different file names in my list?

That would make sense. I'll try DateTimeStart() and see what happens. 

If that's how that function works then my guess is that's my problem. Small detail, annoying frustrating impact haha! I appreciate the fast help!

Labels