Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Batch Macro to do mapping

kennethli
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I am new to the macro world and designing a macro to help on a mapping action.

I have 2 tables,

Table A:

1.PNG

Table B:

2.PNG

And I have to look up the table A segment in table B to create something like below table and stack up for all segments.

3.PNG

But i come across the error

5.PNG

I understand this action may not actually need a macro to complete but I want to understand more on the sequence of batch macro's excution and how to deal with an error.

Thanks so much.

4 REPLIES 4
Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi Ken,

You have to map [segment] to both Inputs.

I did it, and worked as expected.

Capture.PNG

pcatterson
11 - Bolide

From how I've used it, the "Group By" tab in the macro is for what connects to the "¿" tab.  Depending how you use it, the idea is that for the batch/iterative macros you can have it pull in the data in groups, instead of the entire set in one fail swoop.  The "Control GroupBy Field" and "Input GroupBy Field" seem to always be the same in my workflows, but I don't fully understand the distinction.  I think you have the understanding that the "¿" connects to the Control Parameter you put in, but that isn't so.  Control Parameters are for Analytical Apps, when you want the interface of alteryx to be something besides the workflow.  You could remove it and it would still show the "¿". 

If I'm understanding it correctly, you want to do an different append for each "Segment" group.  If thats correct, it should look more like the attached files.

kennethli
8 - Asteroid

Thanks,

I also noticed that the field length should be revised to be longer as the output is not as perfect as expected

2.PNG

Just need to change the size then will be fine.

kennethli
8 - Asteroid

Thanks,

Your design looks cleaner and both input are outside the macro. It would be a good start for me to learn building macros.

Kenneth

Labels