Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Batch Macro Debug

BuckeyeJane2
5 - Atom

I have a macro that I'm attempting to use to copy and move files from one location to another based on filter value being in the filename. 

The Control Parameter for the Filter does not seem to be working appropriately and i need to see what value is being passed into the macro. 

is there a way to use the message tool to add the value being passed into the macro in the results pane?  

Example:  How do you see the value coming from the InputDir through the action and into the macro?

BuckeyeJane2_2-1660082773896.png

Any suggestions and resolutions are welcome and GREATLY appreciated.. 

Thank you, 

4 REPLIES 4
MeganDibble
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Hi @BuckeyeJane2,

Have you tried using Debug Mode? Here's an article that walks you through it: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works/Fixing-Macros-and-Analytic-Apps-Using-Debug-Mode/ba-p/... (the second example is a macro).

Thanks,

Megan

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@BuckeyeJane2 
I dont know if there is a way to "Show" the value being passed on.

But basically, as described in below.

After saving the macro, and adding it to the workflow, there is an input with an upside-down question mark for each Control Parameter Tool used in the macro.

Then the data connected to the upside-down question mark is the values will being processed one after another, same column as the "ohl" in you case.

you need to configure the action tool correctly to "Replace the string" something.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Getting-Started-with-Batch-Macros/t...

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

if you are trying to error check create a text input tool. add a section action tool to the control parameter.have the action tool update the text input tool. attach the text input tool to a macro output. attach a browse in your main flow to this output anchor. See what comes out.

tbh - you are probably having an issue with how you are formatting the replacement of [FullPath] - I like to use a dummy/sample text value here - not a field. Then I can more readily see what I want to replace in my action tool config.

SPetrie
12 - Quasar

I agree with @apathetichell that its most likely an issue with how the action tool is dealing with the replacement.

One option for checking the control parameter output would be to use a formula to output the control parameter to the regular output or a secondary output tool.

If you give your control parameter a name in the annotation tab, you can reference it in a formula tool. 

SPetrie_0-1660104261688.png

SPetrie_1-1660104353116.png

SPetrie_3-1660104682316.png

Labels