Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Batch Macro Action Tool Error

kcvictor
7 - Meteor

Greetings,

I setup a Batch Macro but it's giving me a couple of errors. (Please see below)

Below is the Batch Macro using the "Update Input Data Tool":

Batch MacroBatch Macro

Please let me know how to resolve the errors.

Thanks,

Victor

5 REPLIES 5
kcvictor
7 - Meteor

Somehow the image was dropped from the first posting.  This is the errors I'm getting.

Batch Macro Errors.Batch Macro Errors.

Thanks,

Victor

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

The values that you are passing in to the macro are not valid files. Your action tool is currently set up to update the input data tool which is meant to read in each row and pass the value to the input data tool to read in a separate file.

What are you trying to accomplish with the macro?

kcvictor
7 - Meteor

Hi BrandonB,

Thanks you for your response. I start with a workflow and an input text file (containing multiple correspondence letters).  The workflow separates each letter by policy number (record number).  Then, I want to use the Batch macro to process each record.  The batch macro basically pulls specific data by using the getword function to create an output. 

Input to Batch MacroInput to Batch Macro

Perhaps I did not setup the Action tool correctly that is causing the error?  I selected "Update Input Data Tool".  Basically, I want to process each record shown above in the Batch macro. 

Thanks,

Victor

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

I think you may want a macro input tool (interface category) rather than an input data tool, so you can get rid of your action tool and control parameter. Then you can configure your macro to group by the field that you want to run through it.

This should take care of your issue. The way you presently have it set up is trying to pass in the values from your column as file names to be read into the input data tool.

kcvictor
7 - Meteor

Thanks BrandonB.  I wish to follow-up on the solution.  Clinton Fisher also assisted me on setting up the batch macro and the workflow.  Both the Control Parameter and the Macro Input was used in the Batch Macro as show below.

Batch Macro II.JPG

In the workflow, below is the setup to insert the batch macro.

Workflow with Batch Macro.JPG

This is working and I'm getting the expected results.

Labels