Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Basic Filter Expression seems wrong

jmelcher
6 - Meteoroid
This doesn't actually affect it but I have noticed it was a little weird.  

When using the basic filter to do a simple [Field] = x.  The actual expression it shows is [Field] = x.  Which for me seems wrong, that seems like it should always be true.  Instead it should use [Field] == x.  Which is what I use when writing expressions.  

Is this just a fluke in showing the expression?  Or does the expression field not follow normal programming conventions?

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
AdamR_AYX
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
In the latest version of Alteryx we made a single equals (=) mean comparison equality in the same way that double equals (==) does.

The reasoning was that in an Alteryx expression there is no concept of variables or assignment and for users coming from a non programming background having to use a double equals was not always intuitive.

Cheers
Adam
Adam Riley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/adriley/
Riclets
5 - Atom

Hi AdamR. Just to clariy. Are you saying that one equals (=) means the same thing a as double equals (==)? Thanks.

RichC
7 - Meteor

Thanks for clarifying this!

It may be good to mention == alongside = in the operators help page . I suggest this since == is still valid syntax, and it had me searching for whether there really was a difference vs. just one =.

Labels