Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Basic Filter Expression seems wrong

jmelcher
6 - Meteoroid
This doesn't actually affect it but I have noticed it was a little weird.  

When using the basic filter to do a simple [Field] = x.  The actual expression it shows is [Field] = x.  Which for me seems wrong, that seems like it should always be true.  Instead it should use [Field] == x.  Which is what I use when writing expressions.  

Is this just a fluke in showing the expression?  Or does the expression field not follow normal programming conventions?

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
AdamR_AYX
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
In the latest version of Alteryx we made a single equals (=) mean comparison equality in the same way that double equals (==) does.

The reasoning was that in an Alteryx expression there is no concept of variables or assignment and for users coming from a non programming background having to use a double equals was not always intuitive.

Cheers
Adam
Adam Riley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/adriley/
Riclets
5 - Atom

Hi AdamR. Just to clariy. Are you saying that one equals (=) means the same thing a as double equals (==)? Thanks.

RichC
7 - Meteor

Thanks for clarifying this!

It may be good to mention == alongside = in the operators help page . I suggest this since == is still valid syntax, and it had me searching for whether there really was a difference vs. just one =.

Labels