Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Bar chart each row using column headers for X axis

TH
8 - Asteroid

I have a around 50 rows of numerical data (with a string ID in the first column).

The column names are a sequential time series. The way alteryx processed them they turned out with a prefix and a number.

So the data might look something like this -

ID    col_1    col_2    ...    col_n-1    col_n

ABC    2           5      ...       10             8

BCD    4           0      ...         9            12

and so on for an arbitrary number of rows.

Note that the number of columns is also arbitrary.

I'd like to create a bar chart for each row using the column names as the x axis sequence.

Drawing things using characters here in the forums doesn't work very well, but an example of what I'm looking for might be something like the following:

graph 1

title: ABC

x axis: 1,2,...,n-1,n

bar heights: 2,5,...,10,8

graph 2

title: BCD

x axis: 1,2,...,n-1,n

bar heights: 4,0,...,9,12

and so forth.

The scatterplot tool requires that I use individual columns as the X and Y axes, and I'm not building a histogram or heat plot.

Is there a reasonably quick way to do this in Alteryx, or do I need to resort to a dedicated visualization tool like Tableau?

7 REPLIES 7
OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @TH 

It would be easier to help if you added some template data to your post, but it sounds like transposing your columns should work in this case.

Check out this blog about the tool: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Tool-Mastery-Transpose/ta-p/89741

And I'll see if I can throw something together quickly

Ollie

TH
8 - Asteroid

I'm unclear on what you mean by a data template. I included sample data in my original post.

Unfortunately, the transpose tool doesn't really help. It turns my entire dataset into two columns rather than into a number of columns equal to the number of rows I started with.

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hey @TH 

How's this?

OllieClarke_0-1642613052784.png

OllieClarke_2-1642613171560.png

Make sure to batch your charts grouping by your 'ABC'/'BCD' column

Hope that helps,

Ollie

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@TH When transposing, you can choose which columns you want to be included in the Name/Value combination. So in your case you would tick ID as a key column, and then all your date columns as Data Columns

OllieClarke_0-1642613792644.png

This means that you can choose a single field (name) for your X axis, and a single field (value) for your Y axis.

Ollie

TH
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for working through it.

That's kind of what I want to do.

In the case of your data, though, I'd have ten different IDs in the rows.

So I'll have to do the grouping a bit differently.

And I'll have to see if there are any issues with the naming on the X axis.

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@TH I might be missing something, but having 10 different IDs in the rows shouldn't change anything. When we batch the charts, each ID will generate their own chart, so you'll have 10 rows come out of the Interactive chart tool, but as they're all in the same column, the number of different values in that column won't really affect anything. 

If the column headers are based on dates, I would recommend trimming the prefix from them after you've transposed your data and turning them back into dates, then the styling of the bar chart should be more accurate.

Ollie

TH
8 - Asteroid

Your method appears to be working for the most part.

It's giving me what I want to see.

Trouble is I'm only getting three graphs even though I've batched by my ID column.
I'll have to figure out why that is.

Labels