Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Azure SQL Database Connection

dbyfield
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I've been given access to both a specific SQL Server and 2 Azure SQL databases within that server and just wanted some advise on how to best connect to the data / tables held within.

I'm new to connecting to DB's in Alteryx so pls forgive any obvious/daft questions

The way I understand it is, I need to do the following:

1. Download the correct ODBC driver from here 

2. Create an ODBC connection using the ODBC Datasource administrator (steps outlined here )

3. Connect in Alteryx using Input > Data Connections > Microsoft Azure SQL Database (ODBC option)

If someone can confirm this is the correct approach to take that would be really helpful.

Where I'm unsure, is  (aside from what should happen after step 3) whether the Data source name should appear within step 3, and what the correct schema is for User Name - should it be "genericname.database.windows.net" + "username" (or the opposite way round).

If helps, my organisation uses MFA within their Office365 Tenant, should I expect that to be an issue at some point?

thanks in advance for any assistance.

3 REPLIES 3
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@dbyfield 

This is one of the ways to connect to MS SQL Database, correct. 

Alternative way of connecting would be to use the Quick Connect

MichalM_0-1606926897609.png

MichalM_1-1606926910152.png

Once authenticated, you should all the schemas/tables your user has access to.

As for authentication, do you use Windows Credentials or U/N and P/W defined on the DB end?

dbyfield
8 - Asteroid

Hi @MichalM ;

Thanks for this, really useful (I've discovered that my IP isn't listed in the Server firewall settings, so waiting for that to be rectified by our helpdesk.

For authentication, I *believe* we'd be using Windows credentials but that may be a little trial/error on our side (I'm a server novice so I'm fumbling a little here 🙂

Cheers

AndresLeon
5 - Atom

And if I want to connect to a .indbc file is it possible?

Labels