Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Averaging Entire Columns

Faronnj
8 - Asteroid

I realize this might be a simple answer but it seems difficult to find on the alteryx community.  I have the following data,

Preop Ref SphPostop 1-3mo Sph> 4-12mo Sph> 1-2yrs Sph> 2-3yrs Sph> 3-5yrs Sph
-15.500.75 0.50  
-15.500.50 0.25  
-14.000.000.00 0 
-15.000.000.00 0 
-10.00-0.50 0.00  
-7-1-1-0.5  
-151 11 
-12.750 00 
-18.751.251.25 -1.5 

I want to do the average, standard deviation, count, max/min to each one of these columns but cant seem to figure it out, no matter the amount I try.  Hoping someone can help me with this simple task.  

Thanks,

Nick 

4 REPLIES 4
NickSm
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Faronnj 

You could go through a couple steps of pivoting and using the summarize tool, or..

field_summary.PNG

The Field Summary tool in the "Data Investigation" tab does just about all this for you.

Can always use the traditional Summarize if there's some more dimensions you need that aren't in that given summary.

Faronnj
8 - Asteroid

This is exactly what I was looking for! Just have to fix up the table somewhat.  So with the field summary tool, I select the fields I want and it gives me the table I am looking for when clicking the output arrow on the field summary tool but when I connect to browse or output - it still includes all fields.  Is there some way to output just the fields selected? or is the best way to do this with the summarize tool?

NickSm
Alteryx
Alteryx

Depending on how you want the end result table to look, would you just be able to add a Select tool after that Output from the summary and deselect the fields you don't need?

Otherwise you could probably play around with the transpose/crosstab to pivot the table back into a column structure similar to what you had when you started.

Faronnj
8 - Asteroid

yea, I just wasnt thinking straight about using that after.  that would definitely work.  

Thanks 

Nick 

Labels