Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Automatically skip unneeded rows and set headers

faresghnaim
7 - Meteor

Hi guys,

Hope that you're all doing well!

I have a bunch of excel files that I want to add to my workflow 1 by 1. I am inputting them in a batch macro however I am running into an issue, some files have unneeded rows at the start as seen below (this is not the actual data)

Faresghnaim_1-1584540021687.png

Some files have 4 rows and some have 3 and others do not have any unneeded rows.

My question is, is there anyway where I could automatically detect these rows for all the files and skip them to start from the data I want?

I was thinking maybe we could use the functionality of COUNTA on Excel if it can be mirrored on Alteryx.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks a bunch!

2 REPLIES 2
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @faresghnaim 

I'm sure we can figure out a systematic way to determine how many rows should be skipped. In the attached example, I relied on the identity that the first field, [Field1], would be empty for the rows I wanted to skip. Once a non-empty [FIeld1] was found, I include all subsequent rows. This expression was built into a Multi Row Formula tool, then a Filter tool removed the unneeded records. 

Check it out and let me know if this helps. 

faresghnaim
7 - Meteor

Thank you very much @CharlieS  this was extremely helpful!

Labels