Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Automatically run Alteryx Workflow & Refresh Tableau Extract + Published Dashboard

MysticalAz
8 - Asteroid

Hi Community,

Is there a way to automate my workflow to run daily so that it can update the extract in Tableau and the published dashboard without having a Server license? My job currently has a Tableau server which I'm trying to utilize as much as I can. Ultimately, after reading through several discussions, I'm realizing since the data source is in Alteryx, there's no way for Tableau to run my workflow. Alternatively, I've tried Windows Task Scheduler but nothing seems to happen. I'm assuming Alteryx blocks SSO and Windows Task Scheduler jobs without a Sever license?

I was able to get a Personal Access Token from Tableau in which I can enter it into the "Tableau Output" tool in Alteryx. But I don't see that working out either. 

My Alteryx workflow saves the data in .tde format with the "Output Tool". Once it saves, I have to manually open Tableau and it automatically refreshes the data. But then I have to re-publish the dashboard everyday.  

Below is my Designer specs:

Alteryx Non-Admin Designer
Version: 2021.3.1.47945
Running Non-Elevated

Below are my Tableau specs:

Tableau Professional Edition 

2020.4.1 (64-bit)

5 REPLIES 5
csh8428
11 - Bolide

I believe you can run desktop designer using the desktop scheduler. This comes with it's sown set of nuances though.

MysticalAz
8 - Asteroid

Seems like I would need to Designer + Scheduler license for this. 😞 We only have the Designer license. 

csmith11
11 - Bolide

My first workaround would be a python script:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Launch-Alteryx-workflow-from-within-Py...

But even that's going to require an additional license.

Alteryx Server / Desktop Scheduling is awesome to work with but when your Organization doesn't have either yet it can be very frustrating.

sanjyotfirke
5 - Atom

I am sailing in the same boat. We have just Designer licenses and I need to automatically trigger the workflows for the data to be updated in tableau extract.

Was there any workaround found for this?

MysticalAz
8 - Asteroid

Still trying to find a solution..

You would have to run your workflow manually and then have it output to your Tableau server. 

Attempts so far: 
To automate (or attempt to), you can follow the below link about creating a .vbs script. Then create a .bat file that would trigger your .vbs script. It’ll be 

“execution path” “file location path”. Then put your .bat file into windows task schedule and schedule it. 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Run-workflow-using-Windows-task-schedu...

I attempted this on a virtual machine while I was logged off the server.  Unfortunately, it runs with no errors when I’m logged off but my alteryx workflow just doesn’t run. It runs in all my attempts when the .bat or .vbs is ran manually when logged in. 

Then attempted the python script (also in that link) but encounter a GUI error. 

Then attempted keystrokes to be able to run my workflow through Windows task schedule. No luck

All possible things you can try. Hoping you have better luck! 

Labels