Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Automatically refresh data

gin_nguyen
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

I have a question about automatically refresh and sending data.

1. I have a workflow which extract data from external database. Is there a way to set Alteryx to refresh the data everyday without having me click the workflow?

2. After preparing and analysing the data, I will need the output files (multiple excel sheets in 1 workbook) to be sent automatically on weekly basic to designated email based on location. What is the best way to do? Is there a way to set auto email?

Thank you very much for your help

4 REPLIES 4
AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@gin_nguyen 

1. I have a workflow which extract data from external database. Is there a way to set Alteryx to refresh the data everyday without having me click the workflow?

Yes, you can use the Alteryx Scheduler to achieve this solution. Check with your Alteryx admin to see if your firm has the scheduler package. If not, am sure the Alteryx Sales folks would be more than happy to help you out.

2. After preparing and analysing the data, I will need the output files (multiple excel sheets in 1 workbook) to be sent automatically on weekly basic to designated email based on location. What is the best way to do? Is there a way to set auto email?

The Email tool will help you achieve this task. Take a look at this link to learn more about the Email tool: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Tool-Mastery-Email/ta-p/32129

Hope this helps.

gin_nguyen
7 - Meteor

Hi

Thank you for your quit reply. I also checked out the email tool earlier but i didnt get it very clearly, perhaps u can clarify a bit for me?

1. For SMTP: should i key in my email or it is alteryx email address as the article example?

2. For my case, I will have 2 list: for data of regional (Amer, Emea, asia) it will send to regional people. For data with country, it will send to country people. So if I use email, before I can use it, i have to split the data into regional and country first but alteryx cant pick up the data and send accordingly right?

Thank you

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@gin_nguyen 

1. For SMTP: should i key in my email or it is alteryx email address as the article example?

It is neither. You will have to reach out to your Alteryx Admin who can provide you this information. 

2. For my case, I will have 2 list: for data of regional (Amer, Emea, asia) it will send to regional people. For data with country, it will send to country people. So if I use email, before I can use it, i have to split the data into regional and country first but alteryx cant pick up the data and send accordingly right?

The answer to this question depends on how your data is structured. I have put together a sample solution for you to look at. It picks email ID's from the Email column for every region based on the Geography column. Keep in mind, Alteryx sends out email for every record that comes into the Email tool. In other words, if you have two rows for Americas (even if they have the same data), it will send out two emails. 

Hope this helps

gin_nguyen
7 - Meteor

@AbhilashR Hi I just tested out. It works like a charm... many thanks

Labels