Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Automatically append a new column

alexlyle
8 - Asteroid

I am working with an Excel spreadsheet that will add a new column of revenue every month. So January will have a column of one set of data. February another set. March another. And so forth. Obviously, I can go into the summarize tool every month and add the new column. But that seems tedious and not automatic. Is there a way that to make Alteryx read the file and automatically update the summarize tool to append the new each new month when there is a new column?

2 REPLIES 2
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @alexlyle 

Yes, there is if you add a Transpose Tool after your Input and leave the "Dynamic or Unknown Fields" option checked.

Then, you will work with your data in a row level and can easily use Summarize tool to aggregate your data.

After all, if you want to show the data in columns again, you might use the Cross-Tab Tool.

If you post some sample of your data I'd be glad to give you an example.

Cheers,

alexlyle
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the help. That worked.

Labels