Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Automated Email Attachment (*.xlsx file) sends as corrupt file

CGIQV
8 - Asteroid

I have a workflow which generates an xlsx file.  The file opens without an issue locally.

I initially attempted to add a piece to the workflow where the file path for the attachment was passed along to the email tool, and the email sent out an email including this newly created file.  All seemed to work until I tried to open the file and it was corrupt.  I thought maybe it was a timing issue where it was trying to send the file while it was still being saved.  I used CrewMacros Parallel Block Until Done tool so that stream one generated the file and stream two emailed the file.  This did not work.  I then added a 10 second wait after the file was created to begin the output of stream two which is the email.  File still corrupted.

I then created a unique workflow and ran it after the other workflow was complete.  Still an issue.

Any idea what could cause file corruption on an emailed xlsx file when locally the file is fine?

17 REPLIES 17
npsmith
8 - Asteroid

We use the Table reporting tool to manage the email body content, then select Table as the field for the email Body.  That's really a better practice anyway, and it gives you dynamic value and HTML capabilities anyway.

npsmith_0-1578931100910.png

revempower
5 - Atom

@ntobon 
Do we have fix for this defect? I am unable to receive the excel file even with the workaround. Emailing a CSV does work with no issues however i cant go that route as my excel has multiple tabs. Thank you 

ntobon
Alteryx
Alteryx

Defect: "DE22485 - workflow runs and sends out the email message with the attachment, but the attachment is corrupted" is still open.

The workaround should work. Could you please provide a simplified version of your workflow so I can see how you are applying the workaround? Or provide a screen shot of the configuration on the Email tool. 

revempower
5 - Atom

Thank you Ntobon. I was able to do another workaround by using the Report Tool. It works perfectly fine. I was about to update the post and right time your response. Appreciate your help and fantastic community for all the help witout which i wuldnt have learnt a lot in this past 3 days. 

pitmansm
8 - Asteroid

For me it runs locally no issues but will corrupt on the server. Does Office need to be installed on the server to have this work?

ntobon
Alteryx
Alteryx

Defect: "DE22485 - workflow runs and sends out the email message with the attachment, but the attachment is corrupted" was fixed in version 2019.4.8.22007.  

pitmansm
8 - Asteroid

WOOO answers that conundrum

LaszloD
5 - Atom

I have the same issue with pdf files. Using latest version (2023.2).

The generated PDF file opens fine locally. I use Report Text tool to generate email body and attach the generated file to the email.
The received PDF file is corrupted, but only if it is larger than a certain size.
(I have 360KB files that I can open fine after receiving them via email. I have files between 700KB and 800KB. They open locally but in the email they are only about 300Band can not open)

Labels