Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Automate Data Standardizing Solution

jason5333
5 - Atom

Hi all,

I am looking to automate the standardizing and cleansing process of removing client specific data in data sets. Currently I am thinking the best way to do this is to assign each column a category and replace all columns with a value in a pre-made database for that category.

For example, I would have a Template (see attached), where the user would input column headers and select the type of data that column represents. We would then use Alteryx to randomize the data based off the database values. For example, a Company category would replace previous values with random Companies (eg Company 1, 2 or 3)

However, I am having trouble actually implementing this. Does anyone have any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@jason5333 
Let me clarify this is what you want.

Some columns will be specified, one or more, such as 

Client
Document Number
Fiscal Year
Item  
Purchasing Doc.

then the data in these columns will be randomized with some preset values?

jason5333
5 - Atom

Hi Qiu,

Thank you for your response! Yep - that's exactly what I mean. The data would be randomized based off the "Category", so for example I would have a preset database:

City
Random City 1
Random City 2

etc

and if that Column is marked as City category, all values in that column would be "Random City 1" or "Random City 2" etc.

I can't seem to get it past the transposing phase, where I have classified each Column into the category. If you have any ideas I would love to hear them! Thank you for your help.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@jason5333 
Made something and hope this is what you need.

Turn out it is very interesting one. 😁

0407-jason5333.PNG

jason5333
5 - Atom

Hi Qiu,

Thank you so much! This is a great solution - amazing idea. Will take a look through but this performs the exact function I needed help with! Thank you so so much!

Jason

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@jason5333 
Glad to be a bit help and thank you for the accept mark. 

Since it is very interesting one, can I submit as a weekly challenge idea?

jason5333
5 - Atom

Hi Qiu, definitely! So appreciative of your help! Think will be a great weekly challenge idea.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@jason5333 

Thank you so much and thank you for the consent. 😁

MikeLR
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @Qiu. Thanks to your solution I have now learned about using RandInt. I like your use of RandInt([Max_Tile_SequenceNum]-1)+1 to avoid ending up with 0 as a value of Ran

I'm definitely adding that to my toolkit 🙂

Labels