Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Attach a dynamic named excel file in Email tool

abhinabaroy09
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I have a workflow in which I have an excel file which is named according to the latest date and stored. I would like to attach this excel file as an attachment and send to recipients using the email tool.

A snapshot of the workflow

Capture.JPG

So, basis the date today the file will be named '2017_08_04.xlsx', and the name will change when I run the workflow tomorrow (2017_08_05.xlsx).

Is there a way by which I can send out the latest files everyday as attachments when the workflow is run?

Thanks,

Abhinaba

28 REPLIES 28
FreeRangeDingo
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

The original instructions were to use "File name from field" when telling the email what to attach.  But, I think that's what is causing it to send one email for each record. 

Jdelia
5 - Atom
yes

Have a great day,

John Delia

Reporting and Application Designer

Watch Operations Analytics

Nielsen

Oldsmar, Florida

(813)366-6814

"My work matters because my design and development skills build the reports
and tools to help the business determine its growth and direction."
#myMission

www.Nielsen.com

Nielsen Well-Being- The four pillars are: Physical, Emotional, Financial
and Social/Environmental.
adnan2234
7 - Meteor

Hello,

Were you able to resolve this error? I'm trying to send a dynamic file (file name has date timestamp) as an attachment and getting the following error message in the email tool:

Error: Email (9): Record#1: Error Opening file: c:\temp\MAV-PharmacyList_09062022013024.xlsx|||Sheet1: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. (123)

Shaaz
9 - Comet

How can we send multiple dynamic files as an attachment in 1 single mail ?

Shaaz
9 - Comet

Do we have the solution for this ?

Shaaz
9 - Comet

Create a new calculated field like below.

EmailPath: c:\temp\MAV-PharmacyList_09062022013024.xlsx

Call this calculated column in the email tool attachment field.

lowkeyspglobal
7 - Meteor

@drahn were you able to figure this out? Thanks!

drahn
7 - Meteor

Yes @lowkeyspglobal - I am doing this for a massive amount of suppliers every month. I think what had been tripping me up was trying to use the same file path for saving the file itself and grabbing it in the email tool. Someone else had pointed out that the attachment doesn't need the Sheet name on it. So, I just have separate fields:

drahn_0-1679681814119.png

ReportName is just what I use for a Subject Line in the email.

Path is what I am using to update the Excel file on my shared drive.

FileName is what is used to grab the file from the shared drive to attach to the email.

drahn_1-1679681969802.png

Updating the Excel files:

drahn_2-1679682032066.png

Sending the Email:

drahn_3-1679682101622.png

czjames87
8 - Asteroid

I keep getting the error below: 

• Unable to Open archive for zipping: c:\temp\ryder\tmc\TMC North\BI\VZN\Weekly OB Delivery Report\VZN Weekly OB Report.xlsx Can't open file: c:\temp\ryder\tmc\TMC North\BI\VZN\Weekly OB Delivery Report\VZN Weekly OB Report.xlsx: The system cannot find the path specified. (3) (Tool Id: 139). 

I have created the logic below in order to create a dynamic attachment that will reflect the previous saturday's date. 

czjames87_0-1683662564118.png

I have changed the output tool to the below: 

czjames87_1-1683662644288.png

i have updated the email attachment to the below: yet i am still seeing the error above. What am i missing?

czjames87_2-1683662769120.png

Labels